Printer Head Cleaning

A place for discussions not specifically catered for elsewhere
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Printer Head Cleaning

Post by thomasru »

Hi :D Has anyone tried the solutions that can be bought to clean printer heads, and were they a success ! I have tried the cleaning programme in the printer utility without success, after 4 attempts I think it needs a major clean as it looks as though 3 inks are only partially getting through.
I have checked with an Epson service centre and they will try to clean the head, if it fails there's no charge, if its a success its £25.00 which isn't bad really as the solution I've seen is about half that price and I'd have to do it myself :shock: But I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried to self clean their printer.

I have a Epson Stylus PHOTO R800 its a few years old and has not been used much to date,and its always had Epson inks in, but now I have this problem.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TomR 8)
John
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Re: Printer Head Cleaning

Post by John »

I'd be tempted to take the professional route as it may cause less grief in the long run. £25.00 seems a very fair price and no messing about for yourself.
Best regards

John
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer
Spam Protection: Maybe

Post by Stu B »

We have two Epson printers DX4800 and SX415. Both printers developed blocked printer heads. (i'm told a very regular occurance with Epson )The Sx415 only being two Months old. It was very annoying. We had been told the the Epson price to clean was more expensive than a new printer. So my daughter purchased some cleaning solution on ebay. Very cheap at £4. When it arrived, it was easily applied to the printheads of both printers via a small shrynge and plastic tube. (supplied with the solution) left for a few hours. Job done. Both printers now working perfectly again. It was a very cheap and simple practise, We were concidering changing the printers at one point so was well worth the effort.
Regards

Stuart....
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

I had a problem with my Epson once and had to take it to Prestcott, I think that's where it was. I don't know that side of the world, but it was kind of on the way to Beacon Park. Dragon computers rings a bell. The bloke there was really helpful.

I think he told me about sticky cartridges and mentioned a solution which sounds similar to Stu's suggestion.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
Theo Dibbits
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Theo Dibbits »

When I had a problem with my Epson printer Scan send me to Leapfrog computers in Westhoughton.
They are on Churchstreet opposite the Church.
You could give them a ring on 01942 810066

Theo
PhilipHowe
Iconic Photographer
Iconic Photographer

Post by PhilipHowe »

Theo, it isn't there any more.
They are on Hunger Hill.
From Chequerbent roundabout, if you head into Boton, it's on your left, a new brick building as you go up the hill. It's opposite the sandwich shop you can't miss.
http://philiphowe.co.uk
http://facebook.com/PhilipHowe

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop" -Ansel Adams and Philip Howe
Free Dropbox account link! http://db.tt/XvrZgQ68
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi :-d Thanks for the information and a special thanks to Stuart who has tried the cleaning method I'd seen when I searched the internet. I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea now, may still take it to the service centre though I can at least have a go myself if it happens again.

TomR 8)
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Tom,
I had major problems with my Epson 2400, it seems the more you run the printer through cleaning cycles the more problems this can cause,
the only way is to clean the heads out with a cleaning fluid, go to www.printheadhspital.co.uk , for £10 post free you get a cleaning kit that is easy to use and does the job.
Regards,
Bert.
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi Bert
I received the cleaning system and have used it 3 times without success. One of them was a intensive clean and left overnight. If anything its getting worse, I seem to be loosing ink on the test patterns on area's I was not prior to cleaning. :x I'm going to give it one more go as I have plenty of cleaner left.
If this doesn't work then the only problem I have is which new printer to buy :) should I stick to the R800(A4) (I have a few full cartridges left). Or go for a larger one doing A3 :??

Watch this space.

TomR 8)
bert haddock
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by bert haddock »

Tom,
Seems it could be more than just blocked jets, I certainly won't buy another A3 printer as the cost of prints from DS colour labs doesn't make it cost effective to spend a few hundred pounds on a printer, the cost of inks and paper etc, plus the aggro when the printer starts misprinting etc, most people I know now get their prints done at a lab, mainly DS colour lab.
I won't be at the club for a few weeks as I am away on holiday tomorrow,
Hope you get your printer working,
Bert.
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Hi Tom,

Got to say I agree totally with Bert.

Stuart
Regards

Stuart....
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi Bert & Stu B

Thanks for that. Your right the A3 printers are really several hundred pounds, I do need a printer though for the home prints my wife wants of her grand children maximum size 10 x 8 as well as any letters I need to type so I guess I may as well buy a new R800. I've got a printer full of inks in this one. :-d One point I've noticed in the new printer utility that I down loaded the other week is when you look at ink levels it also shows manufacture date of the cartridge :-O I bought some recently from "just ink & paper that show a date of 2010 but some I have bought from sellers on Amazon show 2004 and 2006 and yet I bought them in September 2010 :-O That looks like old ink !!!!!!! I wonder if that has contributed to my problems. Do inks go off over time, I do shake them but is that enough.

Well onto Amazon now to get a A4 printer.

TomR 8)

PS if I ever get around to wanting larger prints I'll do as you suggest and use a Lab.
Stu B
Master Photographer
Master Photographer

Post by Stu B »

Printer ink will over time, go off as such. It tends to dry. It is these particles that then block the print head. Manufacturers ink or other ink makes no difference. Only Remedy is to clean the print head with a cleaning solution. Not by using printer utilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i78Tu3RVO3s&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-bSyhSKvDw
Regards

Stuart....
thomasru
Initiate
Initiate

Post by thomasru »

Hi Everybody

I'll never get used to the American way of dates? Looking at my ink details again its not 2004/ 2006 they are early in 2010:? I do have one though that is certainly 2009.

I doubt I will get my heads clean, they are certainly no better and I've just tried a print and its terrible. So just ordered another R800 should be here early this week :-d .

TomR 8)

[quote="thomasru"]Hi Bert & Stu B

Thanks for that. Your right the A3 printers are really several hundred pounds, I do need a printer though for the home prints my wife wants of her grand children maximum size 10 x 8 as well as any letters I need to type so I guess I may as well buy a new R800. I've got a printer full of inks in this one. :-d One point I've noticed in the new printer utility that I down loaded the other week is when you look at ink levels it also shows manufacture date of the cartridge :-O I bought some recently from "just ink & paper that show a date of 2010 but some I have bought from sellers on Amazon show 2004 and 2006 and yet I bought them in September 2010 :-O That looks like old ink !!!!!!! I wonder if that has contributed to my problems. Do inks go off over time, I do shake them but is that enough.

Well onto Amazon now to get a A4 printer.

TomR 8)

PS if I ever get around to wanting larger prints I'll do as you suggest and use a Lab.[/quote]